Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Veggies, bread, and getting sick.

I learned a new word, well two new words.

The first is a B and B dish - or bread and butter dish. Used obviously for bread and butter, but also for desserts, appetizers, etc. It's a word that I learned in Culinary at the beginning of the year but forgot until I learned it again today.

The second: Crudite. It's French. Also Culinary is where I learned it. Anyone guess what it could be? No? well, if you insist, then I will tell you! It means raw veggies. Platters of Crudite sounds so sophisticated and expensive, yes? But for anyone who doesn't know what it means, they will just get ripped off. All it is: A platter of raw vegetables. I love French Culinary terms :) They make the simplest things sound fancy and pretty. I mean, if you were at a restaurant and the waiter comes up to you, saying, "Good evening. Would you ladies like to sample a platter of Crudite?" Wouldn't you want to try some?

In class today, I once again for the 2nd time volunteered for Crudite, which to me is a big fat hunk of ugh. I only did it 'cause no one else would and Chef Morris was going to assign jobs if no one volunteered. Taking one for the team, unfortunately. Anyways, it wasn't without benefit. I, unlike the other people - more like annoying butt heads - in my class, got to practice my knife skills, Batonneting carrots for a hundred people.

Oh, and one thing that bums even more than Crudite? Getting sick two days from your b-day. Not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment